Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Communication Artifact Bear Bones Systems


For my communication artifact I chose to design a product brochure for Bear Bones System. I chose to do a brochure because I felt this product would greatly benefit by having an artifact that demonstrates the many features and functions this unique product has. Another communication objective that this brochure would offer is that it shows the variety of uses, as well as showing what different items this trailer has the potential to tow which would reach different audiences.

The style guide that I followed is the Bear Bones Systems is in Cinzel font. "Bones" is in black font with white shadow "Bear Systems" is 25% grey. I used the accent colors of black, grey and white in my design process to account for the same color to be present with the type style color.
   
While I was thinking about how I was going to put this together I kept in mind the vocabulary of design. Starting with lines I wanted everything to line up on the brochure on each page and I wanted the lines on the image to lead you down the brochure to the next part. The lines and the form in relation to the shapes on the page go with each other because the text is inside the shapes on some pages but also those shapes have distinct lines that bring everything together on the page. I like how on a couple of the pages the shapes bring depth and space to the brochure. I used the images in certain places to bring good spacing between each one so that it didn't feel like there was to much going on and the space and depth make the image pop and grab your attention. Although the images are computer generated images I feel the images do a good job of showing texture and real life qualities to show the user what this product would look and feel like. I wanted to be very simple in the design process but still have it be attention grabbing. The images themselves are very simple images and the color scheme is very basic but I feel it came together very well with simple qualities being implemented. Looking into the brochure and seeing what forms of contrast  I used I see things like the light/dark aspect where I used gray as a background but also used black on another. The placement of the images I feel like used good contrast in making sure none of them over powered the other the orientation turned out good in my opinion. Each image has meaning and relationship with the content on its respected page I feel I did good to not have to much but just enough to keep the user interested. The figure ground relationship I find to be unique in this design process I used images that had a mirrored figure ground relationship. I did this because I like how it brought about a showcase vibe within the brochure displaying the product as if it was in a showroom may make the consumer more likely to look into what this product is. The images that I used also worked really well with the white backdrop because I used images that had shadows giving it a 3D element on the actual products within the brochure.
Looking into the gestalt principles that are present I first notice that I used the law of similarity where items that are similar are grouped within each page of the brochure. I purposely did this to show what each drop-in and ramp was capable of doing to all for the user to find information fast on which ever function they were using at the time. Looking into the law of pragnanz I wanted things to look simple and not to complicated for the user so they could view the content without feeling overwhelmed. I used the law of proximity on a couple of the pages where I used the same trailer style with two images grouped together to show its functions from different angles or aspects to show the user different looks.  I feel like I used the law of continuity in how I placed my images on the brochure and the way they were angle allowed for your eyes to follow the brochure the way it is supposed to be followed when reading it. Each image has lines present that natural move your eyes along the brochure. I used the law of closure where one image shows the exploded version to show how it is put together but then I also have an image present that shows it completely put together.
Even though this isn't a website the axioms of web design are very much applicable to a brochure design in how you would want to design it. First of all on the inside flap I constructed the business and communication objective by describing the business type and presenting that this product has various uses which makes the user want to view more. I feel like I did a good job of building a strong grid that I used for the placement of certain text and images. The images flow well with each other for the axiom of continuity, I feel that is what I did best on this brochure I feel it flowed really well and it wasn't overwhelming with information just enough to keep you interested. I feel like the product itself is very intuitive which makes the brochure intuitive its a unique product so when someone sees it on this brochure I feel it will catch your attention right off the bat.
Overall I felt I did a really good job on this brochure I was pretty impressed when it was done, I feel I used a lot of design elements in my design process and it all came together really well. I enjoyed this project it allowed me to use ideas and concepts that we learned over the course of the semester and apply them in very useful way.






No comments:

Post a Comment